Zotac Zbox Mini PC Feature The Computex 2011 held in Taiwan showcased a lot of new and interesting devices that may be coming into the market sometime this year or the next. As manufacturers aim to capture public interest, they are providing some unique and interesting products that might just make it big by becoming small. You might get the idea if you get to see this new Zotac Zbox Mini PC.
However, I also have a deep appreciation for the Mac mini. There's a simple beauty in the mini's styling and an elegance to its minimalist approach to, well, everything. Apple's bite-sized Mac isn't a lot of computer, but it's enough for what most average users actually do with their systems on a day-to-day basis. The mini's modest components draw little power and get by with quiet cooling, and the whole thing can be squeezed into a svelte enclosure with a tiny footprint.
The fact is that most people only need a little bit of PC. Even in my own home, there are certain rooms in which I want an unobtrusive PC but don't require anything special. Filling those needs with a Mac mini is an expensive proposition when the base model starts at $700, though.
The dual-core CPU inside the new Mini-PC will be offered in two versions with one running at 1.2GHz and another that runs at a faster 1.6GHz speed. Both of the processors offer native 64-bit support and are pin-to-pin compatible with VIA Nano, C7, C7-M, and Eden processors for future upgrades. The little machine is very compact measuring in at 12 x 12 x 4cm. That compact size will make the machine very easy to fit into a cramped entertainment center.
Zotac Zbox Mini-PC Specifications
• Intel Atom D525 (dual-core) (1.8 GHz)
• Next-Generation Nvidia Ion with 512MB dedicated DDR3 graphics memory
• 2 x 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM slots (ID34 comes fitted with 1x2GB DDR2-800 DIMM)
• One Gigabit Ethernet socket
• 802.11n Wi-Fi
• Digital optical sound output and 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks
• Two USB 3 ports
• One powered eSATA port (doubles as one USB 2 port)
• Two USB 2 ports
• 6-in-1 card reader (MMC/SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro/xD)
• One dual-link DVI port and one HDMI port with HDCP and 8-channel digital
• One 2.5" hard drive slot (ID34 comes with a 250GB pre-fitted)
• Blu-ray drive with 4x read, 8x DVD read and 24x CD read/write.